Monday, May 12, 2014

Ahh, a living project!

Nice feeling.

We're pretty much done now - everything is working, website is being (re) launched, and we're good to go.  We rehearsed our final project pitch for tomorrow, which now includes a small section by David Strawn.  After that, we make the archive and review each other and ourselves to call it a day.

I'm excited to finally finish the presenting portion of the course tomorrow.  I'm a little dismayed at how much presenting the course has entailed, and find myself questioning it's value.  We had to give a solo project pitch to the class.  As a group, we've now given two 7-9 minute project pitches to the class, and will give a third one tomorrow.  When we were rehearsing today, I was thinking about the somewhat repetitive nature of this activity.  While we have tuned and tweaked our presentation, it feels odd to rehearse and give it so many times.  Perhaps that's a good thing, in that we should be prepared to give a solid show tomorrow.  But at the same time, I wish I had gotten more 'meat' from the class.  It has kind of felt like some kind of "graduating exam", where the class is more about everyone proving themselves to the professor and TA than it is about learning things related to software engineering and computer science.  I liked this aspect of the course at first (this "selection" and "competition" aspect), but after a while it has made me (and probably others) wonder what the course is meant to teach us about either CS or SE.

No comments:

Post a Comment