Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Making a 'software time capsule'

That's kind of what it felt like today, to me, when we were wrapping up all the components of this project (code and non-code elements alike) into a single tarball.  I was picturing somebody opening this file up in 30 years (if they could...) and looking through it.  Would they be impressed?  Disgusted?  Would they laugh at how 'hard' or 'crazy' software engineering was in our day, like how we laugh at old-timers when they talk about punch cards?  I also wondered if people that far from now would understand what the product was for and what it wasn't for.  I really kind of wished we had made more documentation to go with the shipment - I guess the project proposal describes the purpose of most of it though.

It also felt a little odd to 'pull the trigger' and ship the thing.  For one, there's always that lingering feeling of "is everything good in there?" (at least for me).  But also it's this feeling that the project is over, and probably will stay in it's neat archive for the rest of it's days "being looked at by top men".  In some ways that makes me sad, but I'm not sure that I have the expertise yet to bring a product like this to market yet.  Perhaps one day, future earthlings (human or not) will unearth the project and bring it back to life with their super futuristic computing technologies.  Or maybe they'll find it quaint when they discover it, already having an ultra-advanced case-based diagnostic program of some kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment